How to Remove a Yellow Jacket Stinger
How to safely remove a stinger from your skin
Late summer and early autumn are the time of year yellow jackets are the most active. These stinging insects are considered a pest because their bites are painful and they leave their stinger inside their victim. Yellow jackets don’t go out seeking trouble, but if they feel their territory is threatened, they will attack. This means trouble for humans and pets alike—especially those with allergies to yellow jacket stings. Here’s more about yellow jackets and how to properly remove a yellow jacket stinger.
About Yellow Jackets
- Yellow jackets are part of the wasp family.
- These insects have smooth black-and-yellow-striped bodies.
- Yellow jackets live in nests built in the ground or in elevated areas due to their penchant for avoiding people. Therefore, their nests are often found on trees or on the eaves of buildings. Their nests are constructed of chewed-up cellulose, the main compound found in wood.
- Because these wasps feed on carbohydrates, they are often drawn to humans when they eat outdoors.
- Yellow jackets are notorious for their tendency to sting their victims repeatedly.
Yellow Jacket Stinger Removal
Here’s what to do if you’re stung by a yellow jacket:
- First, seek immediate medical treatment if you are allergic to stings or if you’ve never been stung before.
- Next, clean the sting site. Do this immediately after being stung. First, clean the sting with warm water and soap. Then, dip a cotton swab in hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol and apply to the site of the sting.
- Finally, remove the stinger from the skin using a flat instrument to scrape it away. We recommend using a credit card, needle, butter knife, fingernail or penny.
- Avoid squeezing the skin to remove the stinger because this releases venom into your system. Squeezing at the stinger causes more swelling, redness, and pain at the site.
Yellow Jacket Prevention
If you want to reduce your yellow jacket and stinging insect population, call a pest professional. The team at Resolution Pest is here to help. Contact us today by calling 610-337-7378 to schedule an estimate.
Special Offer for New Customers
$50 Off Complete Pest Control Services
Hurry! Offer Expires May 31, 2019