How to Treat for Bald Faced Hornets
Keep these stinging insects from harming you or your family
Bald faced hornets are a type of yellow jacket named for their white faces. They are recognizable by their black and white bodies. These insects are considered a pest because, although they rarely attack unless provoked, sting when they feel their nest is threatened. Bald faced hornets build aerial nests in low-traffic areas on your property. If you see one that’s a bit too close for comfort, try treating for it yourself. Here’s how to treat for bald faced hornets.
Bald Faced Hornets: Treatment
Bald faced hornets are only aggressive when their nest is approached. Therefore, it’s best to steer clear until you’re ready to remove the nest.
- Purchase an aerosol insecticide made for wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets at your local garden store. Read the label to ensure that the product sprays with a long range so you don’t have to get too close to the nest. Then carefully read the instructions on the label to ensure your safety.
- Wear protective clothing to protect yourself from stings. Long pants tucked into socks, long sleeves, gloves, hats, and protective eyewear are all important.
- Approach the nest at night, a few hours after the sun sets. This is when bald faced hornets are inactive and have returned to their nest to sleep.
- Use a ladder to climb to a nest-level height and spray the insecticide at the opening of the nest until it’s soaked.
- After the nest has been sprayed for a few seconds, leave the nest and give the insecticide a day or two to do its job.
- Keeping a safe distance, return to the nest during the day to check for bald faced hornet activity. If you still see activity, return again at night to reapply the insecticide. Repeat this step until the nest is empty.
- Treating for stinging insects of any kind is a risky activity. So contact a trusted pest professional for help if you don’t feel comfortable treating for bald faced hornets on your own. The experienced exterminators at Resolution Pest are here and ready to help treat your property for stinging insects of all kinds. Give us a call today at 610-337-7378 for a free estimate.
Special Offer for New Customers
$50 Off Complete Pest Control Services
Hurry! Offer Expires May 31, 2019