Lyme Disease Symptoms and Prevention
How to recognize the signs and keep from contracting it
Lyme disease is mostly transmitted to humans through a deer tick bite. The symptoms vary in severity and can include anything from a rash to various neurological disorders. Because of this, early detection is imperative. Read on to learn more about symptoms and prevention of Lyme disease.
Lyme Disease Symptoms
- The bull’s eye: the symptom most commonly attributed to Lyme is a rash that appears as a red circle around the normal-colored site of the bite. Unfortunately, this tell-tale rash does not always fit this description. It varies in color and shapes with every person and many bite victims don’t develop the rash at all.
- Flu symptoms: another tricky indication of Lyme disease can be easily misdiagnosed or confused with the flu. These signs usually appear a few days to a few weeks after the bite takes place. Some of these symptoms include fever and/or chills, swollen lymph nodes, lethargy, muscular achiness, blurred vision, sore throat, and headache.
- Long-term signs: if left undiagnosed, Lyme disease shows up in a number of ways. It can take up to a year for certain symptoms to make themselves known. Some of these indicators include numbness in the extremities, achy joints (resembling arthritis), migraines, heart irregularities, memory loss, mood swings, sleep disruption, loss of mental focus, and depression.
Lyme Disease Prevention
- Perform regular tick checks on yourself, your family, and pets after spending time outside. Do this by scanning your body and using tweezers to remove ticks before they get the chance to bite you.
- Wear protective clothing that covers your limbs when outdoors. Long pants, long sleeves, and high socks keep ticks from getting to your exposed skin.
- Because ticks like to hide in overgrown vegetation, it’s helpful to trim back shrubs, cut grass low, and clear lawn debris so you can eliminate their hiding places.
- Apply an insect repellent containing DEET before going outside.
- Finally, your best bet in the battle against ticks is to contact a professional exterminator like Resolution Pest. Our perimeter treatments are highly effective in keeping ticks and other harmful insects off your property. Contact us today by calling 610-337-7378 so we can get started protecting you from tick bites.
Special Offer for New Customers
$50 Off Complete Pest Control Services
Hurry! Offer Expires June 30, 2018