Pest Spotlight: How to Remove a Tick
What you need to know about the safe removal of ticks
Ticks are tiny parasitic insects that embed themselves into your flesh and feed on your blood. Once embedded, these pests can spread a number of diseases, so it’s best to remove them as soon as you spot them. Here’s how to remove a tick using only a pair of tweezers.
A pair of fine-tipped tweezers enables you to grab the tick with a firm grasp and pull it with precision to ensure that the whole tick is completely extracted.
- First, use the tweezers to grab the tick at the base of its body (its mouth is the part of its body inside your skin), as close as you can get to the surface of your skin.
- Firmly, steadily pull the tick from the skin in one even, straight motion to ensure the entire tick comes out.
- Unfortunately, it is possible to remove the body without the mouth, leaving part of the tick embedded in your skin. If this does happen, do not attempt to dig the mouth out of the skin. Simply leave it in the skin, clean the area, and check often to prevent infection.
- Once the tick is removed, it’s time to clean the affected area of your skin. Apply soap and water or rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, or iodine to disinfect. Then wash your hands.
- Now you need to get rid of the body. Either drown the tick by flushing it down the toilet or wrap it in tape to prevent it from crawling off and biting someone else.
- Finally, remain vigilant. You’ve been bitten by a tick, so it’s possible that it could have transmitted a disease. Go to the doctor immediately if you notice fever, aches, pains, or other symptoms of a tick bite.
What Not to Do
There are a number of myths regarding the removal of ticks, many of which are false. Here are the methods to avoid, as they cause the tick to burrow deeper into the skin in an attempt to escape:
- Using petroleum jelly to suffocate the tick.
- Applying heat (like lit matches) to the tick.
- Painting over the tick with clear nail polish.
After your Remove a Tick…
Ticks are a real danger because of the diseases they’re capable of spreading. Resolution Pest can create a shield around your home’s perimeter to prevent another tick bite. Contact us today at 610-337-7378 for help protecting you and your property in the fight against ticks, fleas, and other pests.
Special Offer for New Customers
$50 Off Complete Pest Control Services
Hurry! Offer Expires December 15, 2018